+27 83 250 7989 info@pioneersafaris.co.za


Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any questions not listed here, please feel free to CONTACT US. 

South African Passport Requirements:

Please ensure that each person travelling has a passport valid for 6 months longer than your intended stay with at least two blank pages available. Clients from UK, Schengen States as well as the USA & Canada don’t require a visa however please check with South African Home Affairs.


When a child travels with only one parent, additional documents should include an affidavit in which the absent parent gives consent for the child to travel, a court order granting full parental responsibilities or legal guardianship of the child, or the death certificate of the absent parent. The affidavit should be no more than 3 months old from the date of travel.

Mozambiquan Passport Requirements:

A minimum of two completely blank pages in your passport is required before entering Mozambique. Visas are required. Please check with the Mozambiquan Embassy for all requirements timeously.

Recommended Rifles:

The best rifle to bring is the rifle that you are most comfortable with. The best minimum calibre for dangerous game and plains game hunt is a 375. Plains game hunting rifles 270, 308, 30-06, 300. work well.


We suggest bringing about 40 to 60 rounds of ammunition of 150m / 165-yard well-constructed grain softs & upwards.

Shooting practice:

Practice is best with the use of shooting sticks or from a sitting or kneeling position. Speed shooting is also a good practice.

Over what distances will I need to shoot?

While hunting on Kwalata and most areas shots will be taken between 100 to 150 m (110 to 165 yards). Kudu is the most likely to require a 150m plus shot. Where ever possible shots are taken under this distance.

Hunting in the Kalahari requires much longer shots and speed as there is very little cover.

What do I need to bring my rifle into Southern Africa?

Before your departure day, a US 4457 Customs Form must be acquired and filled out.

Click here to download the 4457 Form

For assistance contact Henry Durheim Please visit www.riflepermits.com  who will, for a fee, process all rifle permits on your behalf. Or once you have cleared customs and found your Kwalata Safaris representative proceeds to the South Africa Police Service’s gun control counter and fill out the SAPS 520 in black ink. Preferably pre-fill out this form as it’s quite long but remember the black ink! SAP will issue a temporary import permit which must be kept safe until you leave the country again.

Click here to download the SAPS 520

For other African countries please ensure that all your bullets are kept together in the same place. Customs officials need to inspect them and count how many are live and how many empty cartridges you have.

How should I travel with my rifle?

Your gun should be packed in a good quality padded hard shell plastic or metal gun case that locks. Please call the airline in advance to check their own policies regarding the carrying of weapons. Provide sufficient time at the airport for the gun inspection by TSA or other customs officials before it is placed in hold.

Questions about your Safari

If you have any questions not listed here, please feel free to CONTACT US. 

What is the best time of year to book a Safari?

Rifle hunters will enjoy hunting from the middle of March to the end of September as during this period there are fewer leaves on the trees so the animals are much easier to see and of course it’s our winter so the temperatures are cooler.

Do the animals that I want to shoot require a permit?

Any trophy marked on our price list with an asterisk * requires a permit. Please let us know in advance. Please note that other countries may differ so please let us know your species list to ensure permits. 

How long will it take to get my trophies home?

Usually, this process for dip and pack takes up to six months. Obviously, taxidermy and mounting of the trophies will take longer. 

What will the weather be like?

During our winter months, June to September the day time temperatures are a nice 16 (60.8 deg. Fahrenheit) to 28 (82.4) degrees centigrade. However, the night temperatures can be cold, particularly for any night hunting or night activities and can drop to -2 (28.4) at a minimum.

The Kalahari is subject to extremes in weather from extreme cold to extreme heat. Mozambique is generally hot.

What should I pack?

  • Passport & tickets
  • Rifle and ammunition (No less than 40 cartridges)
  • Comfortable walking boots/ shoes and socks. (Please don’t bring new shoes but a comfortable well-worn pair)
  • Warm Jacket for winter months – June to end of September
  • Rain Jacket – generally only needed from October to March & for Mozambique travelers.
  • Three to four sets of clothes – daily laundry is available
  • Camouflage or darker coloured clothing. Please avoid light colours/ light khaki
  • Dinners are casual so just wear what’s comfortable
  • Sunscreen and sunglasses
  • Warm clothing and gloves for night hunters
  • Wide brim hat
  • Personal medication for allergies and diabetes etc. & malaria tablets for Mozambique etc.
  • Flashlight / headlamp
  • International travel / medical insurance
  • Camera/video camera and lots of batteries
  • Binoculars
  • Leatherman/pocket knife to be packed inside your luggage and not in a carry-on bag.
  • Good insect repellent
  • 220 to 110 voltage converter and adapter plug
  • A good book – it’s a long flight!

Is there cell phone reception?

There is limited cell phone reception so it’s best to take your phone hunting with you and leave it on SILENT to pick up reception. 

Is there internet access?

Guests are welcome to the WIFI at Valamanzi, however, WIFI and internet access is variable across Southern Africa’s remote hunting locations. Please ask your Safaris agent to advise. 

Do I need any special medication or Malaria tablets?

Kwalata Wilderness is Malaria free however trips to Zimbabwe and Mozambique do require Malaria tablets. The best ones to use are Doxycycline or Malarone which require a prescription. Otherwise, no other medication or inoculations are required. Kwalata Wilderness Limpopo, the Eastern Cape, North West and Free State are malaria-free areas however trips to Kruger Park, Zimbabwe and Mozambique do require Malaria tablets – please consult your doctor.

I have a medical condition or recently had an operation…

Please let us know before arrival and preferably tell your professional hunter. That way we won’t make you crawl if you have recently had a knee operation!

How far is a hospital and how can I get there if something goes wrong?

At Kwalata Wilderness we have a local helicopter service and a doctor who will be able to pick you up should anything happen. South Africa has some excellent hospitals to take good care of you. For other African countries please see Global Rescue and your travel insurance company for further options. 

Do I need any insurance cover?

Medical & travel insurance is important just in case your baggage or rifle goes missing or should you accidentally break a leg or need to alter or cancel your trip. Your travel agent can arrange this for you. Visit Sportsman’s Insurance Agency for all rifle insurance in the USA. Call them on 800-925-7767 or visit them on the web at www.siai.net. 

Do you cater for special diets?

Yes. Please provide us with any specific dietary requirements for yourself and others in your party, to assist us in making your stay as pleasant as possible.

Do I need to tip?

If you feel that you have been given good service and that the person met or exceeded your expectations tipping is a nice way to say thank you. Tips are excluded from prices and are always appreciated by staff and professional hunters. Please enquire if you feel unsure as to what amount is appropriate.

Do I need to pay a deposit?

50% of the day fees need to be paid in advance to secure your safari dates as well as 50% deposit for specific big 5 hunting animals to secure the trophy and or permit tag.

How can I pay for the balance of my trip?

  • We accept Visa and Master Cards (5% banking fee will apply)
  • US Dollars / Euro cash
  • US Dollar/ Euro traveller’s cheque

What is the time difference between the Europe and South Africa (& Southern Africa)?

Europe has the same time summer zone that we do, however, in winter this can differ by an hour or two behind depending on your location. 

What is the time difference between the USA and South Africa (& Southern Africa)?

Generally, the US is about 8 hours behind varying from the East Coast by 6 hours to a 9-hour difference on the West Coast. South Africa itself works in a single time zone as do our concession in Zimbabwe and Mozambique which have the same time as South Africa.

Please advise us of any dietary requirements, critical medication use or health issues. We will gladly help where we can.